Monday, December 29, 2008

Not a good year if you're a NY team that ends in ETS.....

I've been meaning to update this thing but kind of neglected it, you know the way the Rangers neglect to shoot on the power play or the way the Knicks neglect to defend many times.

As I'm posting this, I'm watching the Jets news conference regarding the firing of Eric Mangini as their head coach. Not many coaches get fired after going 9-7 but when you're 8-3 and collapse against mostly inferior appearing teams, this is how it goes down.

I'm no Xs and Os guy, I fake my way through my football knowledge of cover 2s, west coast offense, so I know little of Mangini's technical coaching ability.

That being said, when a team shells out the bucks like the Jets did, brings in a quarterback like Brett Favre, gets rid of Chad Pennington, who wins the AFC East in the Meadowlands and is bad defensively despite being led by a defensive guy like Mangini, that can't be good.

This news also reminds you how fast it can crash down in sports. Just two years ago Mangini was 10-6 and making a small cameo in a Sopranos episode. In that episode, Artie Bucco referred to him as "Mangenius".

Now it seems a majority of Jet fans got what they wanted. And now the watch is on for the next coach of this franchise.

No comments: