Sunday, September 14, 2008

David Price - Hitters Get No Discount

I've seen a number of major league firsts, major debuts and so on. You go to so many games, you're going to see so many that you lose track.

On a fairly sticky day in the Bronx, I saw another one. I saw David Price's first major league appearance. Thanks to Edwin Jackson not having much of anything and giving up six runs in two innings, Price was summoned out of the bullpen to start the third inning.

His first batter was Xavier Nady, who turned a 96 MPH fastball into a groundout to third. Robinson Cano also saw three at 96 and flied out. That was how Price got most of the first six outs combined with some of the sliders that seemed clocked in the high 80s.

He tried the same against faced Derek Jeter and it turned into a nine-pitch at-bat. The ninth pitch was a slider that went into the right-center field bleachers. That was about the only thing the Yankees got off Price, who seemed composed enough to move on after the home run.



The home run tied Lou Gehrig's team record for hits at Yankee Stadium at 1,269 and it was another cool milestone to see. Tying a team record against someone so highly regarded as Price.

Here's some of Price's comments:

"I think my first 20 pitches in the 'pen, I didn't throw a strike," Price said. "So I thought it was going to be a rough day after that. But I settled down pretty good -- started breathing better out there, but that first inning was rough.

"When I was warming up for my second inning, I felt good. I wasn't shaking anymore. I felt like I was about to fall off the mound in that first inning. But after that, I felt fine -- like I was pitching back at Vanderbilt, back at my high school. It felt good to be out there, I wasn't nervous anymore, and I felt like I belonged out there."

Like many other young players, they considered Jeter their favorite:

He used to be my favorite player," said Price with a chuckle. "I don't know anymore."

and Jeter being the veteran at the age of 34, said the following about Price:

"Everyone is well aware of how well he's pitched throughout the course of this season," Jeter said. "He throws 97, 98 with a good slider. You're interested, obviously, because you hear so much about him.

"But any time you're facing someone that's throwing 97 or 98 with a slider and changeup and has a pretty good idea of what he's doing out there, I don't think too many people are rushing to go hit against him. He threw the ball extremely well. I'm sure he was probably a little bit nervous, but it didn't show. He's got a very bright future."

And Joe Maddon talking about someone he feels will be a cornerstone for the future:

Obviously, he's going to be one of our starters in the future, and we feel he's one of our cornerstone pitchers. But for now, I think it's just wise to just evaluate what we saw today and know that it was positive -- see what you've got for the next week or so, knowing that you have this in your back pocket, and then see how you want to use [him]."

Yankee Stadium may be closing but Price is only starting and we could see a lot more of this across East 161 Street in following seasons.

No comments: